madre montaña

  

it has been far too long since I’ve visited

I have become a mamá

I have become an abuela

la vida

but now it is time to come home

come home to my madre montaña

 

I round a bend in the road

and there she is

erect, beaming with an excited smile

tree skirts ruffling

soft, wooden flesh trembling

she beckons to me, arms wide

a beacon among the foothills

and I come to her

 

she is exactly as I remember her

glamorous as a goddess

forthright like a toddler

a bewitching sea

spooking the most weathered sailor

a snuggly breeze

rocking the baby to sleep


each creek, stream, river

a stitch in her patchwork quilt

every meadow and valley

a square with a forgotten tale

every tie-off a hermit town

too sleepy to wake up and greet me

she is stuffed with mineral marrow

and edged with snowflake seams

 

I can feel her insides

the weight of a glacier covers her bosom

like all good mamás

she has given her quinta essentia for her niños

cutting off her own limbs to keep them warm

 

forgive me, madre montaña

for not visiting you more

mi niña preciosa

siempre estás en mi corazón

Popular posts from this blog

The Grim Reaper Gets Organized

No Lifeguard on Duty

first a bleed